Warners and Marvel are rubbing their hands with glee as the year's two comic book tentpolers have surpassed the combined total of $2.5bn at the worldwide box office.
The Avengers (aka Avengers Assemble) has now mopped up $1.5bn in ticket sales, while The Dark Knight Rises has passed the $1bn mark.
Avengers did have a three-month head start on the Caped Crusader, not to mention added sales from the 3D screenings, but it's fair to say Marvel's multi-character smackdown has surprised many (non comic book geeks) by fending off the challenge of Batman.
In terms of the all-time list, The Avengers now sits third, behind the James Cameron double whammy, Titanic and Avatar. With the movie coming out once more at the US box office later this year, there's a decent chance Titanic's $40m cushion could be wiped out.
TDKR, meanwhile is up to twelfth place. See below for the top ten list courtesy of Box Office Mojo.
1. Avatar - $2.7bn
2. Titanic – $2.1bn
3. The Avengers – $1.5bn
4. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2 – $1.3bn
5. Transformers: Dark of the Moon - $1.12bn
6. The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King – $1.11bn
7. Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man’s Chest - $1.06bn
8. Toy Story 3 – $1.053bn
9. Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides – $1.043bn
10. Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace – $1.023bn